Artist/ Band: Big Big Train
Title: Englsih Boy Wonders
Label: English Electric
Year of Release: 1997/2008
Offical Artist/ Band Link
- Back in 1997 English progressive rock band Big Big Train released their second album, English Boy Wonders, on IQ’s label Giant Electric Pea. The line-up for this album was Gregory Spawton (guitars, keyboards, vocals), Andy Poole (bass, keyboards, backing vocals), Martin Read (lead vocals), Tony Muller (piano, keyboards) and Steve Hughes (drums).
On December 1st, 2008 the band re-released on their new label English Electric. It was partially re-recorded and re-mixed as the band originally intended it to be. The track list is extended and in different order than on the original version. It has a fresh sound and I for one am glad the band re-issued this gem. While there’s a pop element here, I believe the band is beyond the “neo-prog” genre. Maybe Prog-pop? Labels aside there are some amazing songs here with a timeless feel to them especially “Brushed Aside”, “A Giddy Thing” and “Albion Perfied”. The rest of the album is classic and closer to bands from the 70’s yet updated.
If you’re a fan of Big Big Train so far, then you really must get English Boy Wonders ASAP. Your ears will thank you tenfold and more. I would also recommended this for fans of the melodic side of progressive rock with a pop element.
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on April 16th, 2010
- 01. Big Empty Skies
- 02. Brushed Aside
- 03. Albion Perfide
- 04. Pretty Mom
- 05. A Giddy Thing
- 06. Out Of It
- 07. Cloudless and Starry and Still
- 08. Two Poets Meet
- 09. 28 Years
- 10. Reaching For John Dowland
- 11. Boxgrove Man
- 12. The Shipping Forecast
- 13. Right To The End of the World Tra-La
- 14. Fell Asleep
Reviewed DiscographyRelated reviews by this artist/band at ProgNaut.com.
Copyright © 1998-2012, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.