1. Why did they make this album? What was the passion or message that forced them to produce what they have? Or, simply what was their motivation for the themes they chose for this album?
“From several and different musical experiences, starting from formation in Conservatory to get to metal-progressive, it is born a mixture of musical thoughts which gives birth to: “UNDER THE ICE”. My solo project, made with the collaboration of friends-musicians of uncommon worth" (Barbara‘s MySpacepage, 2010).
2. What message are they delivering through their lyrics and music?
Barbara was nice enough to send along a copy of her first solo album along with her band’s project Loreweaver for review. So I am writing these comments in thanks for the music she has created here, showcasing her classical talents along with her prog/heavy metal side in Loreweaver.
Barbara is a multi–instrumentalist full of talent. But it’s her voice that is the most fantastic instrument in her arsenal. She brings an original sound to her music. Her Italian roots really helped develop that powerful passionate voice and music. You can’t help but be moved by her music. When she whispers amidst the piano and violin in The Land it captures your imagination and holds you to the finish.
The songs are shorter than her Loreweaver tracks, but she packs allot of power and passion into the space provided.
1. Under the Ice – This is a wonderful opener with piano and dreamy strings along with Barbara’s beautiful voice in an almost classical surrounding. “My thoughts are hardened under the ice.” “Sleeping… waiting…” “Every time I have tried to open my mind, when I tried to open my heart.” Such raw emotion. Her ability to capture that emotion is incredible, and this opener really lights the fire of the passion in this album early.
2. The Land – One of my favorite songs. It seems like it’s over before it begins though. The piano and strings are weepingly perfect. The lyrics are in Italian, but thankfully Barbara provided a translation: “I can sing with voices that crossed me in the course of ages.” “I can express the reasons of all the generation.” Another wonderful, but short song.
3. Angel Heartbeat - This is a real standout on an album full of short arrangements that really grab at your heart. The lyrics are powerful, “when your heartbeat can touch my heartbeat.” “Time became a white page without a sign…” The refrain, “I hear your voice to fill my empty spaces.” The music just grips you and will not let go. The use of piano throughout this album really helps to set a powerful mood. Yes, her music does fill the empty spaces of time and warms your surroundings as it fills the room. The beautiful piano mixed with Barbara’s soft vocals is perfect.
4. A Place That Nobody Knows – This song reminds me so much of the power and passion I remember when I first heard Keane’s ‘Somewhere Only We Know’. It is a very strong song that delivers the depth and power of emotion Barbara is reaching to achieve. “Oh darling... can you help me?”
5. Stupid Day - Her duet with Andrea Giolo on Stupid Day is my favorite song on the album. The warm piano and the passion between the two singers is a wonderful mix of talent. The violins and all of the strings blend and mesh so well together.
6. Liar – This is the longest track on the album and opens with a cool synthesizer. It reminds me of her work with Loreweaver. Barbara’s voice lifts and soars with the drums and guitars. “I think of you, about your lies of yesterday, I love you so and you still lied... yesterday.” The synthesizer and piano work are very good.
7. Before the Night -The strings are dreamy and take you to another place and time. Barbara’s voice is incredible. Just strings and a warm duet.
8. Ero e Sono – A beautiful almost operetta sounding Italian song with piano accompaniment. The drums and strings kick in to fill the air with warm sounds.
9. Music and Love – This is a perfect song for Barbara. It takes advantage of all of her capacity to deliver passion in lyrics and voice. The strings tug at you and surround you in the warmth of friendship. “I can see in my mind flowers and your dreams kissed by sun and your shine.” “Take me away… music and love…I'll find all around the world.”
10. No More Tears – A rocker that blasts open with piano, drums, and heavier guitar. “This year the snow hasn’t fallen.” “The Earth has no more tears to cry.” She captures the power of these lines with such power and passion. The organ also adds allot of surrounding sounds of warmth.
11. Orange Roses – This song closes the album with a warm piano piece, with Barbara and those strings in the background surrounding and completing the scenery.
3. Does this music improve, change, or add to the genre? What does the listener receive from listening to the music?
An excellent debut solo work. It is full of passion and some of Barbara’s best music and vocals. She brings to the stage a new talent vibrant and full of passion.
4. Does it have longevity? Is it something a fan will like to play again and again?
Absolutely great. Wonderful for a summer or spring day when the sun is full and dreams abound.
Rating: 9/10 – Excellent. Only wish there was more.
Reviewed by Prof on May 19th, 2010