1. Why did they make this album? What was the passion or message that forced them to produce what they have? Or, simply what was their motivation for the themes they chose for this album?
“Mammooth is a crew of musicians and producers based in Rome, Italy. Since 1997 they have been working with theatre, cinema and television, creating soundtracks and collaborating with many artists
“We are not avant garde but we wish to explore the “dark sides” of the most popular music genres: blues, hard rock, psychedelia, kraut rock, electronic mixed together in improvised jams or complex songs with a progressive soul
“Mammooth hopes to reach all of you with its music, to tell you a story or most simply to bring you to a different place (http://www.myspace.com/mammooth, 2009).”
2. What message are they delivering through their lyrics and music?
1. Intro – The intro is so short and quiet you might miss it. Make sure to turn up the volume.
2. What a Mess – Powerful guitars, drums, and message in the lyrics. The rocketing guitars and power drums are just fantastic. Play this one loud!
3. Gone – One of the best songs on the album. A slow down after a tornado of an opener. But nothing is lost in the transfer. This one is full of powerful lyrics and music. Great guitar harmonies and that consistent drum really make this one fun. The bass adds good dimension to the overall sound and then the piano, well it’s a nice addition. This has a real Coldplay feel to it, but it’s no copy, very original.
4. The Day I Stood Still for the Last Calling – The best song on the album. And it’s a spectacular instrumental! Slow opening guitar with keys in the background. Then the building momentum with drums and great support from the keys. Dueling guitars and the bass plowing its own way through the sound. The keys really rounding out the sound perfectly, adding that extra element and dimension. Then, after all that building power, it’s as if you just left the launch of a ski jump, you are left with only the keys and drums and it sounds so cool. Nice effect.
5. Good News – Almost the sound of a phone ringing along with keys and guitar. Quiet opening as Riccardo begins to lay out the story in the lyrics. “There’s something more than this.” The piano is wonderful along with the soft drums and percussion. Then the power guitar and drums and the vocalist let’s lose with emotion. Powerful drums and piano with great guitar running throughout.
6. Me At My Most – A pepped up, fast paced pop kinda song. Maybe meant to be a single. Good guitars and drums. Great dance or club song I’m sure.
7. Key 6 – Keys working their magic here at the beginning as the guitars and drums start to build momentum. Another awesome instrumental. Cool guitars and keyboard effects. The bells, chimes and other effects are wonderful, with headphones or without. Another cool, club – like song which will keep your feet in motion.
8. Sketches of a Personal War – Solid vocals driven song with powerful lyrics. Good acoustic guitar, soft drums, and keys. Deep, personal song with strong guitars and drums pounding through as the song progresses. The angst can be felt in the driving of those drums and guitars as the power chords and riffs rock through the air. “Holding back the tears.”
9. Vincent – Keys, guitars and effects open this song. Then those cool soft drums and synth effects take over. Claudio’s trumpet solos are excellent and add some excellent highlights to this instrumental.
10. My Left Hand – Nice quiet opening with vocals, guitar, keys and drums. Nice love song filled with cool dreamy keyboard effects.
11. Actually I Don’t Understand This – Slow opening with keys, buzzing guitars and the piano pulling through the mix. Then a blasting piano, drums, and guitar jam interrupts the quiet solitude and we’re taken on a Coldplay, ‘Rush of Blood to the Head – like’ instrumental dreamscape. Very cool closer, making you want more.
3. Does this music improve, change, or add to the genre? What does the listener receive from listening to the music?
Very original and dynamic sounding debut for this band. I’m in. Add this band to the list of bands I will be following and looking forward to in the future. Very interesting and different sound despite some similarities. They have definitely created their own style and sound and they use allot of good effects and hooks to keep the music interesting.
4. Does it have longevity? Is it something a fan will like to play again and again?
Yes. This is an album you should add to your collection for 2010. It is well written and performed well with care and emotion.
Rating: 8/10. Very good debut album for this band. They really put time and care into this one.
Reviewed by Prof on March 6th, 2010