Artist/ Band: Various Artists
Title: A Reflection: Yet More Music Inspired By And In Tribute To Gentle Giant
Label: Self release
Year of Release: 2008
Offical Artist/ Band Link
- From the people that brought us ‘Giant For An Hour’ and ‘Giant For Another Hour’ comes their latest compilation ‘A Reflection’. I had the pleasure of reviewing both Giant releases, so when ‘A Reflection‘ was sent to me, I was quite excited to hear it. As the subtitle suggests, these tracks are inspired by Gentle Giant which shouldn’t be mistaken as a “tribute” album of Gentle Giant‘s music. Songs range from less than a minute to11 minutes and contains some memorable tracks like “Wood Nymphs” I noticed the music is closer to Gentle Giant’s than the previous efforts, which should please fans since the Giant is sleeping.
The epic of the compilation, “Islandia” has a slight Latin feel to it and keeps your attention all the way through. Think a Gentle Giant and a heavy early Santana mixture which gives the basis of the song. The shortest track, “We’re Not Home”, which has a humorous answering machine message. It’s presented here twice, a regular 21 second and a 35 second extended version.
Another highlight for me is “Off Bass” presented by Zed. It’s a pure jazz and funk track. It contains some excellent playing. In fact the entire compilation has a quality to it that must not be missed by any fan of Gentle Giant, progressive rock or jazz fusion. I recommend those fans to get this ASAP!
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on Januaury 9th, 2009
- 1. Playing The Boys (Dan Bornemark)
- 2. Wood Nymphs (Tomas Stark)
- 3. Four Doors (Bach & Leonard Overdrive)
- 4. Giantessence (Blissful Behemoth)
- 5. Fanfare (Adam Levin)
- 6. Echoes of Portsmouth (Eric Baumgartner)
- 7. Off Bass (Zed)
- 8. Preludia (Glenn Liljeblad, Andy Kubicki & friends)
- 9. Chalk Farm (Ant Bowles)
- 10. Islandia: Departure/Nightfall at Sea/Sunrise (Glenn Liljeblad, Andy Kubicki & friends)
- 11. We're Not Home - extended version (Alan Benjamin)
- 12. Attitudes and Lonelitudes (Dan Bornemark)
- 13. The Rose (John Eyre)
- 14. House on a Hill (Adam Levin)
- 15. Allegro Assi (The Tyler Administration)
- 16. Test 5.5 (Ant Bowles)
- 17. Giantology (Blissful Behemoth)
- 18. Libertée (J'Art)
- 19. Naissance (J'Art)
- 20. Still as Young as I'm Old (Blissful Behemoth)
- 21. We're Not Home (Alan Benjamin)
Reviewed DiscographyRelated reviews by this artist/band at ProgNaut.com.
Copyright © 1998-2009, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.