Artist/ Band: Rick Wakeman and The New English Rock Ensemble
Title: Out Of The Blue
Label: Music Fusion
Year of Release: 2006
Artist/ Band Link (click for more details)
- Rick Wakeman recorded a live album ’Out of The Blue’ in Buenos Aires in 2001 with his band, The New English Rock Ensemble. It contains members that have been playing with Rick in one form or another since 1975. The songs that appear on this live album includes many of his classics from The Six Wives of Henry The Eighth, Journey to The Centre of The Earth and No Earthly Connection albums. The inclusion of “Starship Trooper” is an interesting choice since Rick wasn’t present when it was originally recorded.
Joining on the Out of The Blue album on vocals is Damian Wilson (ex-Threshold, ex-Landmark & Headspace), which gives the songs a more modern feel. Also joining is Rick’s son Adam on second keyboards. Damian later recorded a studio album with Rick as part of The New English Rock Ensemble called ‘Out There‘ Damian did a fantastic job vocally especially on “Buried Alive‘, which was originally sung by Ozzy Osborne on Rick‘s Return To The Centre Of The Earth.
This is a fantastic live recording of Rick Wakeman’s music that will satisfy fans both old and new. It’s a nice cross section that showcases everything Wakeman! Out of The Blue is also a precursor to the “Out There’ line-up which is one of my favorite releases of Rick’s solo career. I would recommend this album to Rick’s fans without any doubt. It‘s a definite keeper!
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on January 24th, 2008
- 1. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
- 2. Buried Alive
- 3. Jane Seymour
- 4. No Earthly Connection/ The Prisoner
- 5. Catherine Parr
- 6. The Visit/ Return of The Phantom
- 7. Starship Trooper/ Wurm
Reviewed DiscographyHere are other reviews by this artist at ProgNaut.com.
Copyright © 1998-2008, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.