Artist/ Band: Qwaarn
Label: Unicorn Digital
Year of Release: 2007
Artist/ Band Link (click for details/ ordering)
- Qwaarn is a Canadian progressive-rock project led by drummer FranÁois Bernatchez with revolving band members. Qwaarn isnít just the name of a band itís also the main character in the continuing sci-fi story that started in 2004 with the debut, The Word of Qwaarn. ĎAberrationsí is the next ďchapterĒ if you will in this saga. I havenít heard the debut but according to the bandís website, the music was in the vein of Genesis and Yes to name a few.
According to their label, Unicorn Digital, Aberrations is being billed as a ďpop-gressiveĒ. Iím not sure what they mean by it but I would say itís more pop based music with progressive moments. Also according to their label, Qwaarn is influences by several bands including The Beatles, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Tears for Fears and The Cure. I really donít hear much of those bands, in my opinion, they remind me of both old and new Marillion (imagine Fish singing to the newer Marillion songs) along with Twelfth Night (Andy Sears era) and early IQ.
This was a difficult listen and Iím not really sure what to say good or otherwise about the band except if you enjoy the early 80ís British neo-progressive movement then Qwaarn will feed that need. I will however say, it has potential of being a very good album. Take a chance on Qwaarn, it might be a great buy for you! You can also hear some Qwaarnís music at Unicorn Digital's MP3 Site
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on November 27th, 2007
- 1. Priviliege (6:02)
- 2. Meeting Kim (4:46)
- 3. Dream in Am (5:37)
- 4. Mr. Lotto (7:29)
- 5. Did You Say Salmon? (8:42)
- 6. The High Muckity-Mucks (3:07)
- 7. Talking to Flowers (7:26)
- 8. It Will Be Fine (5:17)
- 9. Fore (5:23)
- 10. Aberrations (5:00)
Reviewed DiscographyRelated reviews by this artist/band at ProgNaut.com.
Copyright © 1998-2009, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.