Artist/ Band: Gurth
Year of Release: 2008
Artist/ Band Link (click for more details)
- The Spanish group GURTH has been around since 1995 and in 2008 they finally released their debut ‘Tormentes’ through the Russian label MALS. Gurth consists of Xavier Parera and Oriol Arranz (guitars, vocals), Jordi Garcia (bass), Raimon Iniesta (drums) and Jordi Cols (Congas). Together they make adventurous music that is both complex and accessible at the same time. One of the bands they seem to be heavily influenced by is King Crimson. This mainly due to the way the guitars sound, not the compositions. The opening track “Somnis Lliures” is a prime example. There are many other influences at work on this album as well, such as jazz-fusion, heavy rock, blues, funk and RIO. The way they combine those influences is amazing from start to finish. I was pleasantly surprised on the first listen and it’s grown to be a favorite of mine for 2008.
They have produced a very well done debut of which every track must be heard. There are no throw-away songs here, so prepare for almost an hour of beautiful forward thinking music. Seldom does a debut come across me that I garner as perfect and ‘Tormentes’ is such an album. I look forward to more from them in the near future. I would recommend this to fans of jazz fusion as well as King Crimson and even to those that are into the more complex forms of music like zeuhl, RIO, and avant-garde. Highly recommended!
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on October 3rd, 2008
- 1. Somnis Lliures 2:50
- 2. Cami Sonor 5:43
- 3. Coese Que Passen 3:50
- 4. La Corrupcio De L'enyor 3:20
- 5. Les Caldered D'en Pere Botero 6:04
- 6. Les Oliveres D'en Joan 5:22
- 7. El Patufet Va Amb Vespa 6:32
- 8. Tormentes De Diners Amb Fang 5:16
- 9. Truita De Tortuga 4:23
- 10. Juga'mi 4:55
- 11. A Dormir 5:34
Copyright © 1998-2008, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.