Artist/ Band: Dave Bainbridge
Title: Veil of Gossamer
Label: Open Sky
Year of Release: 2004
official Dave Bainbridge/Iona website
(click on the link above, for ALL band information on this and the band's other cds)
- Dave Bainbridge, a co-founder of the Celtic rock band Iona. delivers his first solo CD. On this release thereís an emphasis on guitar and the music is very much in the Celtic rock vein his band is famous for. I must admit Iím not too familiar with Iona, so I wonít be able to give proper comparisons to work in his band Iona, but I can say that Dave is by far one of the most underrated guitarists of our day. He plays from the heart with rich textures. No flashy shredding, just good solid playing. Along with the Celtic rock sounds, he uses some classical, soft jazz and full on rock to showcase his talent. He plays a total of 15 instruments on Veil of Gossamer along with 11 guest artists, including 5 amazing singers. The more familiar vocalists on this album are Joanne Hogg (Iona) and Rachel Jones (ex-Karnataka). Many of the vocals were done in several languages to provide a blennd of progressive and world music thus creating a universal vibe.
Veil Of Gossamer is one of the most soft beautiful sounding albums I've heard in years and by far one of the best releases of 2004. I canít recommend it enough for Iona fans as well as fans of Celtic rock, classical and classic rock.
Reviewed by Ron Fuchs on October 31st, 2004
- 1. Chanting Waves
- 2. Over the Waters
- 3. Veil of Gossamer
- 4. The Seen and the Unseen
- 5-9. The Everlasting Hills (part 1-5)
- 10. Seahouses
- 11. Until the Tide Returns
- 12. The Homeward Race
- 13-16. Star-Filled Skies (part 1-4)
Reviewed DiscographyHere are other reviews by this artist at ProgNaut.com.
Copyright © 1998-2006, ProgNaut.com, All Rights Reserved.